No kids party is complete without kids party games. One of the most important rules when throwing a kids birthday party is to keep the kids busy. It can be a recipe for disaster when you don't have enough activities. Kids won't sit still so if you don't provide something to do, they'll find their own entertainment and it may not be what you would have chosen for them.
Find below a list of fun indoor party games and outdoor party games. Kids birthday party games are an essential part of your party planning process. Take a look and use any of these children party game ideas at your own party! Also don't forget to checkout all our great Party Theme Ideas!
Shovel And Pail Relay
1) Purchase two sand buckets and shovels.
2) Divide the children into 2 teams.
3) Organize a relay race where the children have to pick up a small block with the shovel on one side of the room or yard and then run to the other and dump it into the pail.
4) The first team to put all their blocks into their pail is the winner.
1) You will need plastic eggs and something to catch them in such as hats or small buckets.
2) Divide the children into teams of 2. Each team gets 1 egg and 2 hats or small buckets.
3) Have each team of 2 stand a distance apart.
4) The teams must toss the egg back and forth catching it in their hat or bucket. After each round the teams move further apart.
5) If the egg hits the ground the team is out. The last team standing is the winner.
Drama in a Bag
1) Divide the kids into teams.
2) Give each team a bag with various items such as an apple, cup, comb or toy (no more than 5 items).
3) Give the children 10 minutes to create a skit that contains all the items in their bag.
4) Then have them perform the skit. If you want to have a winner then select the team that used their items best in the skit.
1) Provide the kids with props like fake mustaches (cut out of felt), glasses, wigs, hats, clown noses, etc.
2) Then take silly pictures of the kids to take home as a memoir of the party.
1) Have the children stand in a circle.
2) The birthday boy or girl starts the game by moving a body part such as waving a hand, wiggling their hips, sticking out their tongue, etc.
3) The next child has to repeat the first child's movements and add a movement of their own. Play continues around the circle with each child repeating previous movements and adding their own.
4) When a child can't remember the previous movements or does an incorrect movement they are out.
You will need a stop watch for this game.
1) Create a crazy obstacle course. There are tons of ways to make the obstacle course fun with every day items. a) use chairs that the kids have to crawl under, b) have them run around a tree, c) tag a fence, d) sit or stomp on a balloon and pop it, e) stop and blow a bubble with gum before moving on, f) throw a basketball in a hoop, g) jump rope five times, h) do 10 push ups/jumping jacks/cartwheels. These are just a few ideas.
2) Have each child run through the obstacle course completing each task while you time them using the stop watch.
3) Whoever has the fastest time wins.
Unwrap the Present
1) For this Kids Party Game wrap a gift in several layers of wrapping paper (at least 10 layers).
2) Play music and when the music stops whoever is holding the gift must unwrap a layer.
3) The person to unwrap the last layer wins the present.
1) You will need a wading pool, a small net (a fish tank net works well) several rubber ducks (as many ducks as you have guests) and as many prizes as you have ducks.
2) Put numbers on the bottom of each duck (use a waterproof marker) and number each prize.
3) Have each child use the net to try to catch a duck. Once they've caught a duck they get to open the prize that corresponds with the number on the bottom of their duck.
4) To make the game more exciting you can have a golden egg prize. Use a gold marker (waterproof) to draw a golden egg on the bottom of 1 duck. Whoever gets the duck with the golden egg gets the "Golden Egg" prize. This prize should be a little more exciting then the other prizes.
Toothpick Marshmallow Game
1) For this Kids Party Game divide the children into 2 groups or have 2 children compete at a time.
2) Have the children race to see who can build the highest marshmallow tower in a set amount of time.
What Candy Is It
1) For this Kids Party Game you will need several different flavors of chocolate bars such as Snickers, Milky Way, Nestle Crunch, Kit Kat, M&Ms, Hershey Bar, 3 Musketeer, Twix and so on.
2) Melt each chocolate bar in the microwave. Divide the melted candy into small portions for each child to taste.
3) Have the children taste each melted chocolate bar and guess what candy it is. Whoever guesses correct gets that chocolate bar as a prize. Of course, give fresh, unmelted candy bars as prizes.
1) For this Kids Party Game you will need a tray and party supplies.
2) Put several party supplies on a tray such as a party hat, balloon (not inflated), streamer, candle, invitation, cupcake and so on. You will need at least 10 items.
3) Allow the kids to look at all the items on the tray for 1 minute.
4) Take the tray away and then have the kids write down what was on the tray. Whoever has the most correct items wins. Note: if the children are not writing yet then have them repeat back what was on the tray and everyone gets a prize.
Hula Hoop Toss
1) For this Kids Party Game have the kids throw a football or nerf ball through a hula hoop from a predetermined distance.
1) For this Kids Party Game create bingo cards where each space is related to a birthday item or if you are using a theme have the spaces related to your theme. You will need to create a separate card for each guest.
2) Create your bingo draw pieces. You must have a draw piece for every word on all your cards.
3) Play as you would bingo.
1) Turn on music and have the kids dance.
2) When you turn the music off the kids must freeze until you turn the music back on.
3) The first child to move is out.
4) The last child left is the winner.
Mummy Wrap Kids Party Game
1) Divide the children into pairs of 2 and give them a roll of toilet paper.
2) One child will be the mummy and one child will be the mummy wrapper.
3) Have the children race to wrap their mummy. Everytime their toilet paper rips they must start over. Whoever wraps their mummy from head to toe first without ripping their toilet paper wins. (Have extra rolls of toilet paper on hand).
What Animal Are You
1) Pass out animal stickers to each child.
2) Have each child imitate their animal and have the other kids guess what animal they are.
1) For this Kids Party Game place chairs in a circle. Put out one less chair then there are guests.
2) Play music while the kids walk around the chairs in a circle.
3) When the music stops the kids must all sit in a chair.
4) The child without a chair is out.
5) After each round remove a chair and then keep playing until one child is left. She is the winner.
1) Place the children in a circle. Play music while they pass an object around the circle. The object does not have to be a potato; it can be anything.
2) Stop the music and whoever has the object out.
3) Keep playing until one child is left. He is the winner.
1) For this Kids Party Game fill a large bowl or bucket with anything squishy such as pasta or mashed potatoes.
2) Hide small objects throughout the squishy substance.
3) Give the kids a set amount of time to put their hands in the squishy substance and find an object.
4) They get to keep what they find.
1) Prior to the party hide objects around the party area.
2) Have the kids try to find the objects.
3) Whatever they find they get to keep.
1) For this Kids Party Game put notes in uninflated balloons. Choose a couple of balloons to put notes that say winner. Blow up all the balloons and place them around the party area.
2) Tell the kids to each find a balloon.
3) One by one have each child pop their balloon to see if they are a winner.
4) The children with the balloons with the notes gets a prize.
Note: Balloons area choking hazard so don't play this game with small children or be sure to clean up all the broken balloons.
1) For this Kids Party Game attach a 3 foot piece of string/ribbon to a balloon and attach the other end to a party guests ankle.
2) Do the same to each child.
3) The object is for the children to pop each others balloon by stomping on them while protecting their own balloon.
4) The last child with an inflated balloon is the winner.
Note: Balloons area choking hazard so don't play this game with small children or be sure to clean up all the broken balloons.
Bubble Boy (or Girl)
1) For this Kids Party Game fill a wading pool with water and bubble mix.
2) Place a stepping stool in the center of the pool.
3) Place a hula-hoop in the pool around the stepping stool
4) Have each child stand on the stepping stool then pull the hula-hoop over the child.
5) The child will find themselves inside a huge bubble.
Who Has It
1) Choose 1 child to be it and have them leave the room or cover their eyes.
2) Give a prize to 1 child in the room and have all the children put their hands behind their back as if they each have the prize.
3) Allow the child back in the room and give her 3 tries to guess which child has the prize.
4) If she guesses correctly she gets to keep the prize.
1) For this Kids Party Game divide the children into groups and give them a list of things they can find in the party area, such as a rock, stick and flower at an outside party.
1) Have the children sit in a circle and play music while the children pass a wrapped gift.
2) When the music stops the child holding the gift gets to keep it.
Don't Drop the Egg
1) Divide the children into teams of 2.
2) Have the childern in each team tie one leg to their teammate's leg (like a 3 legged race).
3) Give each child a spoon and have them balance an egg on the spoon.
4) Have all the teams race to a predetermined point. The first team to reach the finish line without dropping or breaking their egg wins.
Clue Kids Party Game
1) Hide candy or toys around the party area. Hide at least enough for each child to find one.
2) Have the children form a line then give a clue to locate the object to the first child in line.
Example Clue for Outside Party: Kids like to climb me and some of my friends grow fruit (answer: the toy is hidden under a tree).
Example Clue for Inside Party: I am very entertaining and I talk, but usually mommy limits the amount of time I can be used (answer: the toy is hidden behind the television).
3) If a child finds an object that is not related to their clue let them keep the object and the next child in line gets their clue (remember to remove the clue for each object that is found).
1) Divide the children into 2 teams.
2) Line them up and give the first child on each team a large pillow case.
3) Have both children stand inside the pillow case holding the edges. On go they should hop to a predetermined mark and back as fast as they can. They then hand off the pillowcase to the next member in line of their team. Each member of each team gets a turn.
4) The team that finishes first wins.
Remember That Verse
1) This game works better with pre-teens as opposed to toddlers.
2) Prior to the party put together a list of versus from popular songs. You should have the birthday boy/girl help you with this.
3) When playing the game read only a portion of the verse and have the kids fill in the rest. If the kids are bold have them sing the remainder of the verse.
Riddle Me This
1) For this Kids Party Game put riddles on cards and then give each child a turn to pick a card.
2) If they get the riddle correct they get a prize. (You may want to help with hints depending on the age group.)
Examples of riddles: "This is the place I learn the most and play with my friends" (answer: school), "I can be used to help with homework, contact friends or play games" (answer: computer), "I'm cold or freezing depending on which door you open (answer: refrigerator).
1) Get a bunch of Mad Libs and divide the kids into groups.
2) Have each group work on their own Mad Libs.
3) When they are done have each group act out their own Mad Libs story.
Disappearing Act Kids Party Game
1) Have the children leave the room or turn their back.
2) Put several items (which will be used as prizes later) on a table (enough items so that each child gets a prize).
3) Have the children come back into the room and take a look at the items. Allow them 30 seconds to a minute to memorize the items.
4) Choose one child to close their eyes. Have another child take an item.
5) Have the child that closed their eyes open their eyes and try to guess which item was removed. If he hasn't guessed after 3 attempts show him the item. Now it is the child that was holding the items turn.
6) Keep playing until everyone gets a turn. After everyone has had a turn tell the children they can each have 1 prize from the table and have them all grab a prize.
Check back often as we are continuously updating with new and fun kids party games!